Wednesday 1 April 2015

So, I broke two personal rules today...

The first rule being I never buy anything pre-slotta. Ever. My primary collecting habits are Citadel between 1985 and 1991, so that's all slotta-based stuff. It's a short and slippery slope to buying piles of old chod that looks like lumps of rancid turd. Yes, there were some good sculptors working in the pre-slotta era, but there was an awful lot of 'that'll do' going around at the time. I like a certain naivety about my sculpts, I collect Citadel stuff after all, but there's a big leap from 'charm' to 'what the hell is that meant to be?' that I spot far too often in the darker recesses of the Citadel back-catalogue.

The second personal rule being I don't buy complete ranges in one go. To a certain degree it kind of spoils the fun of the chase, which is part of the attraction of collecting Citadel figures for me. Also, I'm not a range completist at all, I buy figures to suit the armies I'm creating at the time. 

So, having broken those two rules, these are what turned up in the post today:


More after the cut:




It's the complete range of C30 Amazons. Here's a catalogue photo that shows them a little better, along with their names:


It's one of the few preslotta ranges that I really like, although probably more for nostalgia reasons for anything else, I had most of them back in the day, and used them as character figures in a Lustrian-themed AD&D campaign back at school. I now need to get these stripped, and possibly buy a couple of extras to fill out the numbers, then I'm planning on using them as a Mordheim warband. 

More details as and when I get them painted! 

5 comments:

  1. Well, they're already good as they are ! I like the colour scheme, if I were to repaint them I'd probably keep it.
    I agree preslotta can be a source of wonders as well as a source of disapointment. Once in a while though you spot some unbelievably neat and crisp model that is just a little younger than yourself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like the colour scheme, and I'll probably keep it, but I'd just like to paint the figures again. Also, I'd have to go back a whole lot further before we get to ranges around my age! ;)

      Delete
  2. Loads of character in those sculpts. Although I largely concur with your pre-slotta aversion, I must say that blogs such as Belched from the Depths have done much to rehabilitate some of these venerable ranges. Mind you, a good painter can make anything look passable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All hail Rigg! Thantsants from the 'Somewhere the Tea is Getting Cold' blog has collected this series and is building a large scale shrine to run the games in. He fleshed out the numbers with stuff from a bunch of different manufacturers, get in touch if you need any tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good reason to break some rules. A very nice purchase.

    ReplyDelete