Tuesday 9 February 2016

Another day, another project...






So, as some of you may know, I'm currently signed off work due to a problem with my spine. Whilst I've now got a lot of free time, my mobility is limited and the pain I can't spend much time at a desk, but I can do the odd bit of painting or scratchbuilding, with regular breaks. One of my long term projects was to replicate all of the original Warhammer cardboard buildings for my 'Altheim' gaming project, but with more 3d detail, and so that's what I'm up to at the moment...






The current model I'm working on is the 3 section farmhouse, as you can see here. What I'm doing is using a copy of the original building as a carcass, then adding wood frames, planking and some doors I've sculpted and cast up.

Here's a couple of buildings I've already completed:



This is the Gatehouse model, completed and ready for paint. The roof tiles on this one are laser cut cardboard, by Warbases, with the doors and windows made by me. I particularly liked the way the cut out parts with the brick textured plasticard behind worked out.

Next up was a biggie, and far more work:



This was one of the large, timber-framed houses. This time the roof is made of individually cut tiles, and took a *long* time to glue on, as well as the sheer amount of timbering.

Finally, another fairly large one:

This is the monastery from the 'Vengeance of the Lichemaster' scenario, That was in the the Spring '86 Citadel Journal:


And yes, for this one, I did use an original Citadel Journal. In fact, this was actually the studio copy, so it has both history and provenance!


In truth, this has been built since the late 80's, and sat on a shelf, uncompleted since then. It's another part of my push to actually get some projects completed, like the War Mammoth in the previous post.

I've also done a couple of smaller shacks, which you can see below:


In the long term, I think I'm going to get all thirty or so the Townscape buildings finished, and then paint them all in one go, so I can replicate finishes and have some kind of consistency to them all.

Although, knowing me, they may just end up going back on the shelf after I've done half a dozen or so!

8 comments:

  1. Amazing work! those are looking fantastic.

    I'm sorry to hear about your back injury! Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just about to start building the Townscape buildings with my son soon. They do look a whole lot better with the detailed work you've put into them.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extremely cool! These look gorgeous! More, we want more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. Those are going to look even more fabulous once their painted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those are quite nice, and obviously improve substantially over the card originals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work, great additional detail on these; you've inspired me to scratchbuild a few white dwarf buildings. I've just had an operation and am also restricted to short stints at the hobby table, so can empathise. Speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fantastic looking stuff there mate! I'm really impressed;
    They are going to look great on the table.

    ReplyDelete