Monday 1 February 2016

Something prehistoric from the mists of time...



So, another step in my painting rehabilitation, this is one of the very few models that miraculously escaped the mass purge when I stupidly sold my entire collection in the early 2000's. 

The 'Imperial Guard War Mammoth of the Undead Legion', to give it it's full title, was also the first model I ever bought by mail order, as a spotty 14 year old, back in 1986. I bought it after seeing a Grenadier advert in White Dwarf, and sending away their catalogue, eventually receiving the above Blue Box, filled with a weighty amount of Lead.

And since then, it's sat there, in the box, awaiting paint.  For thirty bloody years. I felt this finally had to be rectified, and so now, I have this: 


More photos and text after the cut...





I did, however, decide to change the crew, as the original ones were closer to true 25mm scale, and wouldn't match the rest of my Citadel undead (which I also need to get painted!) The only other conversion work I've done was to add the steering chains. I may add a banner at some point, as the original has gone missing at some point, but that'll depend on the theme of the rest of the army, if I ever get it finished.

Anyway, have a few more pics of different angles. I'm not completely happy with it, tbh, as I've never been able to do a convincing bone colour over large, blank areas, but it'll do, especially after being sat in a box for so long.






I also, coincidentally, picked up another of these in a bulk lot recently, So eventually I'll have a pair to balance each other out!



7 comments:

  1. Really nice. I'm used to seeing darker eye sockets on skeletons, but I still think the paint job is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wasn't sure how to do the eyes, in the end I went with a slight yellow glow, I might put a black dot in the centre and see what that looks like. If it ends up crap, I'll drop some brown ink in and go dark.

      Delete
    2. I see a lot of blue glows, but not a lot of yellow ones. The photo isn't helping with the contrast. Perhaps it's a bit too close to brown?

      Delete
    3. blue is a good call. (In fact I actually did the magic sword in blue already!) You're right, the yellow is a bit too close to the browns, and yeah, I struggle with the contrast on undead, there's not much tonal difference between the white and the brown, but it shows up better on the model. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Amazing! I didn't even suspect such a beast existed! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this model! Excellent work! Thirty years....wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful model there. I quite like the metal trunk....I suppose it wouldn't exist in a skeletal elephant otherwise. The metal tones look very nice and appropriately aged.
    Well done on slaying an artifact of 'ye olde lead mountain'.

    ReplyDelete