Sunday 16 October 2016

'The Blue Turd', the Arbites' (and mine!) least favourite transport...

Yet another post in the ongoing decal-related series, this time featuring a large Arbites armoured transport I finished recently.


I nicknamed this one 'The Blue Turd' as it is, quite honestly, an absolutely terrible model.

More photos, and an explanation after the cut...



 A *very* long time ago, when I was less cynical, had a functioning spine, and even had enthusiasm for the wargaming world outside my own games room, (2012, to be exact), Mongoose publishing launched a Kickstarter on the back some fantastic greens and a lot of promises, to which I chucked in several hundred pounds.

Fast forward to April this year, after four years of delays, excuses and sculpts varying from 'quite nice' to 'fucking abysmal', (all of which are now sat, unpainted, in a large drawer in disgust) this lump of resin finally turned up as one of the last releases owed to me, almost as some kind of insult. I mean, just look at it...

The striations, the terrible moulding, the horror!

I mean, seriously, who makes a production mould using a 3d master this bad? By this stage it's like they just weren't even trying. If I'd had any kind of comeback whatsoever, I'd have sent it back and told them to shove it somewhere unpleasant, but a, I'm not that kind of person, (I just make passive-aggressive blog posts), and b, Mongoose had sold the lot to Warlord, so there was no point anyway. 

Anyway, I thought that as I almost certainly wasn't going to do the Dredd table with I'd originally planned, I'd attempt to co-opt this into some kind of transport for my Port Imperiale Arbites. 

To start with, I undercoated it. A lot. Mainly to make some attempt to hide those bloody striations under a layer of paint. It didn't really work, tbh, but here you go, this is what I managed to make out of it... 

 An Arbites roadblock stops a squat cargo convoy

 Group shot. That Justice Dept eagle is close enough to an aquila, right? 

 Discussions start getting heated...

 Your name's not down, you're not coming in...

 Now, scram! 

 You have 15 seconds to comply!

 Overhead shot, showing the roof decal.

This roof decal didn't quite work out, either. I think I left it in the setting solution for too long before placing, and it became very flexible, to the point it warped quite badly. I've used weathering to hide the problem. It also didn't sit very well on the surface, due to yet more of those bloody striations.


One other thing I'm doing to all of my Port Imperiale-based vehicles are number plates. I just thought it would add a unifying touch to all of the different vehicles that are based there. 

Here's one on the back of the cab...


Also, while I'm writing this, here are a few more shots of the squat cargo convoy. I've had these painted for years, so they might have cropped up in the past, but I don't think I've taken any shots of them. These are all made of bits from Ramshackle Games, and named 'Huey, Dewey, and Louie', if you can guess the sci-fi reference! ;)





Until next time! 

19 comments:

  1. Yay, Somebody else likes Donald Duck's Nephews!

    Your right, that's awfully bad surfacing on that model, I'm dissaponted, Mongoose used to be a pretty decent company, but to pull crap like that, that's bad.

    As for the Eagle, heck don't worry, the Arbites were Dredd knockoffs anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it isn't the best model ever... the casting issues... I can see why you're annoyed! That said, the striations actually remind me of the textured shit they used to paint on snatch landrovers, so not entirely inappropriate :-) All in all, a very respectable purse from a sow's ear ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's some very ordinary casting there for sure. You did a good job painting it up though....hiding its flaws very well indeed :)

    I was going to comment on your last post about the Micro-sol softening solution. How you use it to activate & apply the transfer instead of water. I was actually playing around with that idea the other day on my Space Wolves, trying to see the difference between using water and then using the Micro-sol to soften it on the mini (which is what they recommend) VS using the Micro-sol right from the get go. Seemed like a waste of time using the water.

    It wrinkled the transfer quite a bit when I first applied it, which I was worried would become permanent, but it dried up great! Much better than the water + Micro-sol technique. But yeah, you gotta work fast or you run the risk of softening the transfer to the point of melting....which you found out :)

    Just out of curiosity, what do you use to weather/darken your vehicles? Your reds look really cool the way you weather them. It's not just a simple wash is it?

    Cheers Diesel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I found the water stage a waste of time too, so I just don't bother any more.

      The weathering on my reds are usually just a couple of GW washes, Either Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade, (Black and brown to normal people!) or both, depending on how weathered I want it.

      Delete
  4. Ouch. Well, I must say you saved the model in a quite decent way. You sorted out some clever solutions there and improved that 3D thingie a lot.
    Did I get it right, you were waiting for four years for a KS? Oh my, I should stop complaining about my AvP... :D
    No, seriously, I can understand your mood towards this, it's fucking annoying. Anyway, I think the results you achieved here made everything here look quite interesting. I love the plates addition and the tiny details here and there, they add so much coherence to the Project. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, waiting for KS to get fulfilled is a right royal pain in the arse. I'm still waiting for the Imbrian Arts KS to deliver....funded at the end of 2012!

      Makes matters worse when what's delivered is low quality to boot :(

      Delete
    2. Yes, 4 years! To be fair, they did get a lot out of the door fairly early on, and then there was a stream of parcels for a while, it's just the last dribs and drabs to finish what was offered. Annoyingly, their ABC Warriors, which were part of the pledge (and the last to turn up), were disappointingly inconsistent. Mongrel was great, but some of the others were dismal.

      Delete
  5. The blue turd ends up being far from shitty in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a great job with this, but I was more interested in the trucks from Ramshackle games. Somehow I hadn't seen these before. I just went and dropped $100 (and FREE shipping to the USA) on kits for my Rogue Trader collection. Something about these models screams Old School!

    Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curtis at Ramshackle does some great stuff, and it's really modular, so you can make plenty of cool models out of the parts!

      Delete
  7. Well, shitty sculpt aside, the painting and detailing you've done to it do a lovely job of obfuscating the ugly.

    The Sedition Wars Kickstarter was similarly crappy on quality of it's minis and I have a tonne of the things sat unpainted. Waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a Donald Duck reference . . . even if by way of a rather quiet bit of 70s sci-fi. I can see the resemblance. I should probably go back and watch that one of these days. (Didn't get the reference myself. Asked a "friend.")

    The "Blue Turd" is a good rescue. A great one, even. And I love your plates. I've freehanded a few in an effort to be funny, but real uniform plates like what you've done would probably be better. Need more civies anyway. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite films, well worth a watch!

      Delete
  9. I like the general vehicle, but up close it becomes obvious how bad that cast was!

    Nice work on polishing that turd. Seems like a storm bolter on the roof would have added a bit more "imperial" back into the mix (and a bit more "I surrender officer! Please do not shoot.")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may add something to the roof, I was thinking perhaps some kind of water cannon!

      Delete
  10. Someone on Dakka linked to this blog, great stuff here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I mean, seriously, who makes a production mould using a 3d master this bad?"

    I'll pretend this was not a rethorical question and answer "Impact! Miniatures, with the metal version of their Pro/Dark Elf BB team on their 'several BB teams' KS" which was dreadful to say the least. At least it was delivered in time and represented a "mis-investment" of only slightly over USD100.

    But, yeah, that thing is a crap model. What about the rest?

    ReplyDelete