Saturday 24 February 2018

Madison & Maximillian, Wasteland Gangers...

I'd like you to meet 'Madison' and 'Maximillian', twins and co-leaders of the Desert Rats Wasteland gang...


More photos after the cut...




So, one of the groups I help admin on Facebook recently organised a very small run of non-commercial models as a treat for group members, and I've just finished painting them up.

As some of you might already know, one of my earliest and longest abiding fantasy loves has been of Post-Apocalyptic worlds. Over the years I've published a wargame based on it, had fiction published about it, and even organised several LARP events based on it!

For reference, both figures were inspired by old Carl Critchlow artwork, and as well as just loving Carl's artistic style, Dark Future's mildly changed alternate reality was probably my favourite GW background out of all of them, even moreso than Rogue Trader i think, so to see these two figures realised is just amazing.

Anyway, here's the artwork and the unpainted sculpts, to compare:

Madison:

and the actual sculpt: 




and Maximillian:

And again, his sculpt: 


They really were a joy to paint, so here's a couple more painted shots: 




As you'll have seen by now, I also scratchbuilt Maddie's Interceptor, or at least as close as I could manage:


It's actually a Scalextric LeMan Jaguar with lots of bits glued to it! Unusually, I actually managed to get a WIP shot of this, something I rarely manage. (usually as it's too difficult to unlock the phone with superglue all over my fingertips!)


As I don't really do 28mm Dark Future any more, I'll be using these as the leaders of the 'Desert Rats', a raider gang that inhabits the wastelands outside Port Imperiale. I've already got some of the rest of the gang lined up in the painting queue, along with a bike mounted Maximillian for when Maddie's driving her Interceptor!


Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pics, as I must admit, I really enjoyed this little project!

15 comments:

  1. So cool! I am very impressed!
    I have alwags wished Dark Future models were made at 28mm, I would have likely gotten into it back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. I'm so impressed with people sculpting small runs of their own figs. Any idea what this would actually end up costing to pull off? I suppose the people doing it are usually sculpting their own stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't involved in the financial side of this project, but from past experience the sculpts themselves are the main outlay at a couple of hundred quid or so apiece (depending on sculptor), then there's the mouldmaking and actual casting.

      Delete
  3. Your vehicle conversion looks ace Evo. Bloody close to the artwork man. Carls' artwork from that era was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this all is totally jaw dropping, from the very early concept to the final execution. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive all round - I'm kicking myself for not being a part of these groups that produce such unique and interesting stuff!

    Are the other minis in the last shot from the same source?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! the other minis are from the old Grenadier 'Future Warriors' line, they're still available (very cheaply!) from EM4 Miniatures if you want some!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip - god, those are cheap!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely phenomenal! The paintjobs are great, and Maddie's ride is just perfect. I really need to look at Scalextric cars by the look!

    Looking forward to seeing the rest of the gang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely brilliant mate, lovely painting on those minis, but wow - that interceptor! Stunning work

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Critchlow style is still visible in the sculpt which is ace, I have very similar plans for mine actually. ^^
    Excellent painting as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Real inspiring stuff. The work on the interceptor, both the conversion work and the weathered red paint job are really convincing. A shame that the figures aren't commercially available. I'd buy them on the spot if they were.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look so great ! I've always wanted to see those DF characters in 28mm...that's done !
    Just a question : will these miniatures will be produced ? Is there any chance to see them sold somewhere ? that's two questions though...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete