Sunday 23 February 2020

Saga Battle Report #2 - The Battle of Bestiatun Road

In my ongoing attempt to get more actual gaming done this year, myself and Gadge had another game of Saga a couple of days ago. As I'm trying to document everything game-related that I get up to this year, I thought I'd post another quick battle report for posterity. (It also helps us keep score, as we're both on fairly heavy medication these days...)

Saga, now with added monks! 

This time we went up to 8 points from the 6 points last time, and my forces included the following:

  • 1 warlord
  • 2 points of Hearthguard in one unit (8 models)
  • 2 points of warriors in one unit (16 models)
  • 2 points or warriors in one unit (16 models)
  • 1 point of levy archers (12 models)
  • 1 point of Angry Monks! (12 models)
Gadge's Normans composed of the following: 

  • 1 Warlord
  • 3 points of Mounted Hearthguard in two units of six models (12 models)
  • 1 point of Warriors in one unit (8 models)
  • 1 point of Warriors in one unit (8 models)
  • 1 point of Warriors in one unit (8 models)
  • 1 point of warriors with crossbows (8 models)
  • 1 point of levy archers (12 models)

So, if you actually want to know how it all went, the report is after the break...

Friday 21 February 2020

GW Artifacts, (An occasional series): Some unpublished artwork.

So, this is something I'm pretty certain no one has seen for thirty years. I recently found them whilst going through some old paperwork and thought you guys might be interested in seeing them.

When I started at GW I was in Mail Order up on Chewton Street in Eastwood, and at some point in my tenure it was decided that all of the Mail Order Trolls would get individual packing slips. As part of that, we were all shipped off to the studio to be drawn by one of the studio artists, and these are the results:

Top Row L-R:  Dan, Jon, ?. Bottom Row: ?, Mike?, Conrad, Dave?

I'm guessing by the style that they were drawn by Carl Critchlow, but it was that long ago I'm afraid my memory is rather fuzzy in that regard. Also, rather more unfortunately, my caricature was done later, and I can't for the life of me find the paperwork with mine on, so it may have been consigned to the dustbin of history long ago. These were my Mail order compatriots at the time, but also due to my imperfect memory I can no longer remember half of the names.

more info after the cut...

Wednesday 19 February 2020

On the subject of Necromancers...

It seem I really do have a problem with Necromancers. I found yet another one lurking in the leadpile, and this time he's brought his friends...

More details after the break...

Wednesday 5 February 2020

Saga Battle Report - The Defence of Mapingaham

Time for something a little different this time, as my good friend Gadge, (of the 'Tales from the Maelstrom' blog) came over today to teach me the new version of Saga, which I bought (and made a bunch of scenery for!) last year but haven't had chance to actually have a game yet.

Because of this, I speed-painted a six point Anglo Saxon warband over a day, yesterday, as you can see here:

Eorl Aethur's warband, the heroic defenders of Mapingaham. 

Whilst they're not hugely accurate as regards models and shield designs, they're not too bad to say a: I made the army from models I had in the leadpile, b: I didn't really have the time to research shield designs, and c: I painted them in just over a day. If you squint, they're not too bad.

Anyway, if you want to see and read more of the Eorl's defence of the village of Mapingaham, it's after the break...

Sunday 2 February 2020

How many Necromancers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Six! One to actually change the bulb, and five to stand around a pentagram, chanting into the darkness!

Those Necromancers sure do like pointing at things! 

Anyway, in between doing the Altheim project, I've decided to paint up a few of the 'homeless' models I've bought over the years that don't really fit into any particular projects, and the first bag I found was of some wizards, so I thought I'd get a few done to go with a couple I'd already got painted up. 

More photos and stuff after the break...

Saturday 1 February 2020

The City of Altheim: Part Two - the walls.

After the basic planning I did in part one, My next major job is to get the wall placement finalised so I can start scribing in and cutting out the paths for the roads. I'll be making the walls themselves removable for easier storage of the boards, but I need to have them lock into position on the board to stop them moving around during play. As well as this, I want to make the walls look a bit less 'uniform' than they currently do.

With that in mind, here's the river end of the wall:

More info and photo after the cut...