Wednesday 19 February 2020

On the subject of Necromancers...

It seem I really do have a problem with Necromancers. I found yet another one lurking in the leadpile, and this time he's brought his friends...





More details after the break...





This particular Necromancer is one of the many wonderful sculpts from Diehard Miniatures, I think I picked it up in one of their frequent Kickstarter campaigns, along with the rest of an Undead warband including a spectacular zombie Minotaur that I really must get around to painting soon.

The two small construct helpers are converted Citadel Familiars:



One has had his head replaced with a skull (because Necromancer!) and the other I've just replaced his club with a crossbow, both simple conversions but they worked quite well I think.



The main large construct is a heavily converted model from Foundry they made for their (terrible!) God Of Battles game, I'm not sure if it was ever made available for sale. I got given it along with a bunch of other models as a thank you for running a Rogue trader demo game there. This was long before I unfortunately got a job there, but the less said about that the better. Anyway, back to the construct:







 As far as painting goes, I wanted it to look ancient, heavily corroded and malevolent, which I like to think I managed, the 'eyes' I think turned out particularly well. There's a fair amount of weathering powders, washes and some GW Typhus Corrosion technical paint on there for good measure. 

I also wanted it to operate a bit like Rogue Trooper's equipment, whereby each skull has control over a separate part of it. That's why there's one skull using the telescopic sight on the gun, one for each arm, two to guide the scythe weapon, one for each direction of swing, and one in the torso in charge and doing the walking. There's also a couple hanging around the back to make sure it doesn't get sneaked up on!

So yeah, another quick break over with. I'm quite enjoying painting up the odd random thing at the moment, in between my big project, it provides a nice diversion for a few hours. Cheers!










4 comments:

  1. The construct is odd but impressive the conversions inspired. You should do that Minotaur it is an awesome scary sculpt, mine leads the undead part of my minotaur warband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's a great construct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look great but the paint job on the construct is particularly impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of those golems too, definitely some inspiration taken to do something with mine now

    ReplyDelete