Sunday 2 February 2020

How many Necromancers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Six! One to actually change the bulb, and five to stand around a pentagram, chanting into the darkness!


Those Necromancers sure do like pointing at things! 

Anyway, in between doing the Altheim project, I've decided to paint up a few of the 'homeless' models I've bought over the years that don't really fit into any particular projects, and the first bag I found was of some wizards, so I thought I'd get a few done to go with a couple I'd already got painted up. 

More photos and stuff after the break...




So, here's another group shot: 

They're all old GW sculpts, I think the 'newest' one is this guy with the sword:



He came to me in a random lot, missing an arm, so I found something that looked suitably appropriate, like he's pointing at the ground to raise the dead or something. I think he was from the Mordheim undead warband box set, so he dates to the mid-late 90s. He a lovely mini, I really do like the old Mordheim sculpts, even though they're outside my 'usual' 1980s collecting remit.

To be honest, the whole idea of Altheim partially came about from a love of the concept of Mordheim. I want to eventually use the board for a participation game at an event at some point in the future, but more about that at a later date.

So, back to Necromancers, here's number two:



This guy is one I've had painted for years, I love the magic sigils on his robes and his overall deranged look!

Number three is another I painted up a year or so again, who I named Tim, the Necromancer:


Tim owns the Wizards' Tower, and really doesn't like it when people put forbidden books of unspeakable knowledge back on the wrong shelf.

Number four is a Marauder sculpt, and a real favourite model:



He's such a relatively simple looking sculpt, but has such a great facial expression.

Number five is another 'classic' Citadel wizard:



Again, he's got such a great face, it was a joy to paint.

Finally a bit of an oddity:



He's an oddity in that he's a standard C02 Wizard from the mid 80s, but for some reason is wearing a watch on his right wrist, and at the back has what can only be a 35mm camera hanging from his waist! I'd love to know the story behind that, but for the time being I'll content myself with Pratchett-esque thoughts of it containing a tiny imp that can paint well.

And here's a final group shot, with them using the fancy Pentagram they bring out for really special occasions:


Enjoy! I'm going back to casting cobblestones. Again!



4 comments:

  1. Some real classics there (though I hadn't ever seen the last one!). Fantastic work, they really work boh individually and as a group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine a watch and a camera would be pretty useful devices for a wizard when no one else has them. I'll just cast this far seeing spell here....and ummm *snap*, now we can do some serious photographic analysis of what we've just seen.

    ReplyDelete