Wednesday 24 December 2014

A look back on the year...

Seeing as a bunch of other people are doing this, I thought I'd chime in as well. Be warned though, it's not a chirpy as most people's.

Bothered?




Well, it's been an absolutely shite year for me as far as wargaming goes. I started it off in the industry, and was then unceremoniously booted out by a bunch of imbeciles who wouldn't know how to run a business well if their lives depended on it. Fortunately for them, it doesn't, so they can continue to bumble along and run their business into the ground.

Frankly, it left a bad taste in my mouth, and put me off wargaming completely for a while, but getting a new job with a charity that has a considerably less inept business model and management structure meant I started to get back into it a little later on in the year.

I guess my crowning wargaming achievement this year was these guys:


Being the first army I've actually fully completed in well over 20 years. This has been tempered a little by the fact that they're yet to take the field in anger, in part due to the increased infiltration of said former employer into the Oldhammer movement, which has led me to distance myself from most of it, though, only gaming with a few friends, rather than being involved in 'the community'.

Other than that, I've not done a huge amount. I painted up a few more beakies for my Heresy-Era Death Guard army, and made a small start on my Altheim gaming table idea. I also discovered an entire Viking army I bought about a decade ago, but entirely forgot I'd purchased, which are going to get co-opted into a WFB Norse army at some point.

The one (non-wargaming) highpoint in all of this was a trip to Mexico, where I got to visit some ancient Slann ruins:


This is the Temple of Nohoch-Mul, at Coba. There's something rather special about having an entire World Heritage Site entirely to yourselves, especally when you can climb to the top and survey miles of jungle and ruins. Nohoch-Mul will definitely be the patron deity of my Slann army, when I finally get around to painting it. (Even though Nohoch-Mul, however cool it sounds, actually just means 'large hill')

So yes, in short, this year I've mainly been in a holding pattern, maintaining altitude and trying not to crash. The worst is now over, I can move on, and start 2015 in a positive mood. As part of that, I'm going to endeavour to update this thing more frequently, and that involves more painting, modelling and occasionally even sculpting!

And finally, I hope you all have a very Merry Xmas, get all the rare lead you want, and have a great New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment