Wednesday 7 January 2015

Psst, wanna see something heretical? (Or Space Slann, continued.) Oh, and some unrelated Feral Worlders.


So, judging by the amount of traffic the last post generated, either you guys  like Space Slann, or were all *really* bored over the xmas period. I'm going to be generous and assume the former, and so present the next unit in my Space Slann Warband...




So, there you go, it's an actual unit made up (mainly) of actual Space Slann miniatures! Well, apart from the leader, who's the fan bearer from the old WFB palanquin model. Size-wise, and stylistically, he fits in really well with the much smaller 'Scoitz' model this unit is made up of, with the fan cut off and a Dark Eldar gun and knife attached in it's place.

Here's another view, showing his banner pole (which is from The Assault Group's Aztec range):


One of my issues with the original range is that there are way too many 'officer' models in relation to the grunts, so I've decided to go along with running duplicates in units (which I don't really like doing, but have little choice in this case), and then having separate leaders. I've been collecting Space Slann (and WFB Slann) for a decade or so now, so I've got plenty to be getting on with, I've just never got around to painting any of them.

The astute of you may have noticed that one of the Braves also has a heavy weapon. Yes, that's the heresy I was talking about in the title, and yes, I did indeed chop up a £20+ really rather rare model up with a scalpel, and bung in a Necromunda shotgun, again, due to the lack of heave weapon troops that fit in with the really rather tiny Scoitz models.
I also don't want to see anyone complain about GW, or even Forgeworld prices, when that unit up there costs the best part of £100 for five figures! ;)

These Slann have got me really rather enthused, (in part due to the current interest in them from other Oldhammer gamers, and also due to a commitment to actually get more stuff painted this year), so I've also finished The Mage Chief, Nohoch Mûl, after he was sat languishing on a shelf for far too long:


And here's a group shot of what I've managed to get finished so far: 


Also, and entirely unconnected with the Space Slann, I've painted  a squad of Feral Worlders, after noticing them being sat converted yet unpainted in a drawer for several years, again, part of my commitment to actually get things finished:


The leader is an old Marauder Dark Elf scout who was broken, missing his topknot, and converted to 40k with a laspistol. The rest of the troops are a random eBay purchase from years ago (probably F*****y), with WestWind German Gasmask head swaps, and with one of the guys being given a heavy shotgun as some sort of support weapon.

This dates back to an idea our gaming group had for a game a looooong time ago, where a criminal gun-runner crashed on a Feral World, making himself King in the process, and arming the locals, using them to fight off the Imperial Arbites squad sent to arrest him. The game never happened, but at least these guys are now painted! They may end up co-opted into my PDF army as scouts.

So, there you go, 16 figures painted so far this year alone. I think that must be a record for me in one week!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent, great to see more Space Slann.

    I like how you have converted the fan bearer, and the other fantasy Slann.

    I can sympathise with you converting a Space Slann, I have done that to a few. The shotgun conversion looks good, and in sympathy with the model.

    The Feral Worlder are great conversions too, very imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those feral worlders are really quite great, and useful for a number of scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice too :) I particularly like the Dark Elf scout conversion - very natural...I fancy doing something like that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The feral warriors are quit clever and beautifully painted.

    ReplyDelete