Monday 1 May 2017

RT Genestealer Coven - 'The Cult of the Chitinous Deliverance'

So, being a year or so behind the game when it comes to Genestealer Cults, I finally managed to get the majority of the figures I've been hoarding for about a decade painted, so here's a group shot!


In order to be contrary for the sheer hell of it, I managed to make them all without using any of the new Cultist plastics, even though they're actually very good indeed. So, now I present to you, the Cult Of The Chitinous Deliverance, Port Imperiale's Premier 'Alternative Religion'.

More after the cut...





To start with, here's the Leaders of the Cult, The Patriarch and his two Magi Assistants:


The female Magus on the right was part of a limited edition sculpting project I helped fund a few years ago, and is a lovely counterpart to the original Magus on the left. I've added a familiar to him to echo and mirror the newer model.  The Patriarch is the original Bob Olley one and is, in my opinion, probably the single best sculpt he's done, it just oozes character and smug evilness. I'm not the biggest fan of Bob's sculpting (occasionally outspokenly so!) but strangely, his peculiar style really suits Genestealers and hybrids. 

Next up is a conversion of Inquisitor Karamazov's Judgement Throne model, also known as 'The Judgement Trousers'. 

 The Judgement Trousers - Alt View

Effectively it's a dreadnought proxy, with a hybrid at the controls and two familiars operating the guns. The Low Gothic script on the front appropriately reads 'The End Is Nigh'.

The Judgement Trousers - Alt View

The Judgement Trousers - Alt View

Next up is a squad of Third Generation Hybrids. These are all Citadel sculpts again, mainly with Victoria Miniatures arms. These are my standard go-to company for arms to fit to old Citadel modular figures. They take a bit of cutting and modifying, but I love the style of Lasgun they're armed with, as I think it fits in quite well with the Rogue Trader aesthetic I aim for. I also use them as I just hate the clunky plastic arms that originally came with Citadel models or this era. 

A squad of Third Generation Genestealer Hybrids

 And, to back them up, a squad of Brood Brothers, led by a Fourth Generation Hybrid. These are the original Plastic Imperial Guard bodies, teamed up with more of Vic's arms. The heads again came from the sculpting project, and are lovely, just a shame they were a limited edition, I'd love to do an army of them.

A squad of Brood Brothers

And here's where it gets a bit weird and non-Canon. Here's an infected Mechanicus, who has gone rogue and joined the Cult.  The guys in the background are what happens when an Inquisitorial Investigation team gets caught by the Cult...

A renegade Mechanicus with some of his experiments 

Meet 'The Troopers'. Tortured, mutated and genetically experimented on until they're driven insane with pain and Genestealer DNA, the Troopers are just as dangerous as Purestrain 'Stealers. These are Arcoflaggelants with headwaps and their arms replaced with IG arms, and some of the hybrid arms from the sculpting project I mentioned earlier.


And, alongside a running Patriarch (to represent him when he's not on his throne) are a Mechanicus 'improved' Purestrain, along with a Hybrid Servitor. I've got a few more of these to paint up, eventually they'll represent a faction in their own right.

(L-R) A Mechanicus Purestrain, Running Patriarch & a Hybrid Servitor

And finally, no Cult is complete without it's Transport. Firstly here's the Patriarch in his Limo, along with his driver and associate.

Cult Limo "We can't stop here, this is bat Country..."

Cult Limo and passengers - Alt View

Cult Limo and passengers - Alt View

And here's the Limo without it's entourage..

Cult Limo - Alt View

Cult Limo - Alt View

Finally, here's the transport for the lesser members of the Cult. It's based on a cheap 1:43 diecast model of a Russian Sil-101A limo with some minor modifications.

Heavily armed Cult transport

So, there you have it, the majority of my Genestealer Cult. I've got some more Purestrains to paint up, and a few more characters and special bits to do, which i'll show when they're finished.







14 comments:

  1. Fabulous cult Evo. I particularly like the black and red scheme on the magi and brood brothers. I think your brood brothers are the first painted examples of those Olley heads I've seen too.

    Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about those heads, they really look great! The best part of the project for me though, has to be seeing a Patriarch cruisin in his limo :DDD Bloody fantastic :)

    An awesome cult Diesel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Patriarch fitting in the limo was more luck than anything planned, I just sat him in it while I was painting him and he looked perfect!

      Delete
  3. They are all brilliant and well worth the wait (even if it is 10 years!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work on these. I particularly like the use of the Victoria miniatures arms and the Russian diecast car is excellent, fitting my view of non-military Imperial designs nicely.

    Are you going to add any of the new plastics now that you have accomplished so much without them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to pick some up eventually, but funds are low at the moment, and to be honest, I'd rather spend my money on some more RT-era hybrids. I may pick up a box in the future and use them for the arms and weapons, like i have with the AdMech box set.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous. I'd sign up at their chapel in aheartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous work and conversions on some of my fav models GW ever released.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb work! The arms work really well on the multi-part models.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woooow! Indescribably good!! I love the whole aspect and the way you managed to tie them all in the same theme. Great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is absolutely brilliant! Great job on everything. Like the use of the throne of judgement. The limos too. Inspiring!
    /Hans

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just fantastic! Really cool looking force, Port Imperiale could be the scene for some religious fundamentalism!

    ReplyDelete