Sunday, 16 August 2026

The SS Sirius, a 28mm scale ww2 Merchant Cargo Hauler

In my never ending quest to only print the largest and most pointless things, I'm finally calling this done! 

It's the SS Sirius, a civilian Cargo hauler that's been comandeered by the Handelsflotte, the German Merchant Navy for use in the Mediterranean. 



More photos after the cut!


So, this was based on a model of the Sirius, the ship from the Tintin comics that I found online and purchased. It was designed to be a radio controlled boat, so I had to do a bunch of digital conversion work on it before i could print it. 

Firstly I converted it from a full hull to a waterline model, then I designed all the masts and ladders as they weren't included. I also scratchbuilt the railings oldschool style in brass rod.  

Firstly the bare hull was FDM printed in four sections then glued together, filled and sanded:


Then the supersstructure was printed in resin and the first couple of mast sections fitted:

After that, I started on the detailing, making the railings and fitting the anchors and their winches:

Next up, the mast details were printed and fitted:

And also at the rear:

Then it was really just a case of painting it! I wanted it to look old and in really rough condition, so I went with a dirty white paintjob and lots of rust and aging. 

The crew are by North Star Figures, but as they don't do Handelsflotte crew (do anyone!?) I converted some US Navy sailors to do the job. 

Anyway, here's a few more finished shots:










This will mainly get used as a terrain piece in ww2 games. I'm currently partway through painting a small ww2 North Africa army for Bolt Action, and this will probably end up as a target for my opponent's commandos to blow up. I just need to get on with building the rest of the North African port for it to be based in! 

On that subject, here's a more staged shot with the crew unloading their cargo to the DAK forces:



Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, very nice! A good merchie is always a great addition to a game. They make interesting terrain, great objectives, they're fantastic for storytelling, and they just plain look neat. Do you have some suspicious crates to add to the mix? Or heroes in fedoras? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do fancy using it for some pulp gaming too, I keep meaning to paint up a suspicious looking archaeologist with a whip that I’ve got in the lead pile!

      Delete
  2. Amazing stuff. Looks great on a shelf as well!

    ReplyDelete