Thursday 24 January 2019

2018 round up gallery

So, as is usual, I thought I'd do a bit of a round up of what I've done this year in my hobby world. The short answer is not as much as I'd have wanted to, to be honest, but here's a bit of a rundown on what I got up to over the year!

This was by far the largest model I managed, My Halfling Landship, the Admiral Battenberg:


Anyway, here's a look through my hobby photos of last year after the cut, if you're interested. Some of it I've already documented, but not all warranted a post of it's own...




It all started off fairly well with my painting up the limited edition Madison and Maximillian models from a Old School Gaming Facebook Group I help to admin, along with scratchbuilding a 28mm Dark Future Car for them based on some DF artwork:


Next up were a few little Star Wars-esque robots cast up by a friend as a personal project that I got hold of.

These are cute little 'bots that I use for background flavour in RT games. They're also surprisingly explosive if accidentally hit by gunfire...



Then, as a complete change, I painted up one of the more obscure Regiments of Reknown, the Flying Gargoyles of Barda:



Although they're quite crude sculpts by modern standards, I really enjoyed painted these, they're so characterful.

A Chaos Sorcerer followed, along with a couple of Impish helpers:


Then a few models for my now-stalled Rogue Trader Bestiary project, a Grox, an Enslaver and the ubiquitous Ambull:




I was happy with the Grox (from Krakon Games), and the Ambull, but I couldn't get the eyes done to my satisfaction on the Enslaver (another custom cast from a friend, not destined for release) and as such it's languished on my desk awaiting an eye repaint since February.

Then it was back to WFB for a whole bunch of halflings, from the ever-wonderful Westfalia Miniatures.

First up was Robin Half-Hood and his merry band:


Not to mention the Maid Maryam:


A couple of mobile artillery platforms:


and a couple of less mobile ones:



Also the leader of the army, magnificently astride his war-goat:



At this point I got a bit carried away, and made a start on a baggage train: 


Finally, here's a shot of all of the Westfalia halflings I've got painted so far:


These are genuinely a delight to paint, mostly (if not all) sculpted by Mike Anderson, they're full of character, and paint up so well, even with my mediocre paint skills. I've got a whole load more (I'm a sucker for their Kickstarter campaigns!), so hopefully I'll expand on the army this year!

These were done back in March, then  it went a bit quiet on the painting front until August when I made a start again, this time with yet another Westfalia miniature, this time a 40k converted female mercenary:


Again, it's a lovely model, all I did was add a couple of weapons.

At this point I made up a small Imperial temple to use as a photography backdrop, as can be seen here:


The models were ones I painted up years ago, but I don't think I've ever bothered to put them up on the blog though, the corpses I picked up cheap on eBay, tidied up a bit (added hair etc) and repainted. They make great objectives of just scenery in games.

In October I entered a competition with a couple of entries, a Servo Assisted Space Vampiress:



And a huge demon fighting some Marines:


Amazingly my Space Vampiress won! I was really happy with how she came out, but it's nice to have it appreciated, especially as the competition was judged by Tony Hough, one of my favourite old school GW artists.

After all that, I knocked out a tiny little alien (with a big-ass gun!) as a break from all these big, complex models:


Then, I rapidly moved onto some Eldar. I've had these (and many more!) in a drawer for well over a decade and not done anything with them, so thought I'd make up a small force.  I've never really been that interested in the whole 'Aspect Warrior' side of the Eldar fluff, so went with the original theme of roaming Space Pirates.

The leader and bodyguards:


The bodyguards are converted Melnibonean Infantry, as their helmets matched perfectly with the original RT Eldar captain.

Grav Attack Weapon & crew:


Assorted Command models:


Ghost Warrior:


A rather battered Dreadnought:

And the first of several infantry squads:

My last major project was the 'Sump Snakes', an Orlock gang for Necromunda:




I've covered these guys fairly extensively in a previous post, so won't go over them again. Hopefully this year they'll see a campaign!

Last up for 2018 were a couple of single figures, firstly 'Shortround', my 40k halfling nightclub owner for Port Imperiale:


And finally another random alien, this time a butler for my planetary governor:


So, there you go, A fair amount done, but as usual, not as much as I wanted to get done!

7 comments:

  1. A really fantastic and eclectic mix of figures for the year. I can't work out if my favourite is your realisation of the Dark Future car into 28mm, or the funky little alien with the big-ass gun. Both press pretty much all of my buttons! I hope your 2019 output is as interesting and varied!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know how I missed your eldar but they're fantastic !
    Really love the Sump Snakes as well. Great stuff as always so keep that path !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't posted them anywhere, that's why! Still not convinced by the paint jobs, personally, so thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I had missed some of them, thanks for getting them back. Amazing work, I love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff :) Love the eldar pirates in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That just got an instant follow. Top work!

    ReplyDelete