Monday 30 March 2020

A Quick Slaaneshi Warband!

Well, I'm still slogging away at the Altheim table, but I'm taking regular breaks from it to stop myself getting bored and giving up! In my most recent break I managed to dig through the leadpile and paint up a quick Slaaneshi warband over the last day, as you can see here:

The gang prepare to defend their Chaos Temple



Dechala, surrounded by her followers.

These are really out of my comfort zone, colour-wise. If you're a regular reader you'll know that I tend to go with dark, dingy looking colours, but these are really quite bright, at least by my standards!

As usual there's a whole load more photos after the cut, if you're so inclined...




So, leadwise, this group is a bit of a mixed lot; there's a late 90s 'Dechala The Denied One' as the leader, a C23 'Ogre Berzerker', A late 80's Chaos Beastman, six of the original '87 Daemonettes, and a 2000 era Chaos Spawn. As much as I generally prefer the older figures, I'm not averse to using anything that takes my fancy.

First up is the leader of my warband, Dechala:



Although the mid-late 90s is one of my least favourite 'eras' for GW miniatures, there are some undoubtedly great models in amongst the dross, and this is one of them. She's been stood, built and undercoated on my painting desk for about ten years now, and deciding to get her finally painted was the impetus for me to make up a small Slaaneshi warband as a project.

Next up is her main henchman, a Chaos Beastman I've repurposed as her Champion:


This era of Chaos God-themed Beastmen is one of my absolute favourite ranges, there's just so much detail packed into every single model.

The main rank and file of the warband are a group of six (Slaanesh's Number!) Daemonettes:





Most people seem to prefer the Juan Diaz era Daemonettes, but these are my personal favourites, there's just something really disturbing looking about them all.

For a bit of added muscle, there's an Ogre Berzerker:




To make him fit in a little more with the rest of the warband, I've gone with a pair of brightly coloured trousers, a Slaanesh tattoo, and a pierced nipple as they're all a bunch of perverts...

Finally, and to add a bunch of madness to the proceedings, there's a chaos spawn:






This is just such a wild and weird model, although it's a bit clunky to put together (there was a lot of greenstuff involved and it still looks a bit shonky!) it's great fun to paint! I mainly did this guy in contrasts, Aethermatic Blue to be accurate. It's a suitably unhealthy looking shade and I like the way it turned out.

So, that's the warband so far. I've still got a few other Slaanesh specific models to paint up at some point in the future, so might add to it if the mood takes me. As far as the scenery goes, this is actually a piece I didn't make, it was in an eBay bulk scenery lot I picked up a few years ago. I keep meaning to tidy it up and fill in the gaps/joints but haven't had a use for it until now.

Anyway, here's another few group shots:






There you go! A quick, fun project I managed in between casting up bricks! I've decided to make a small warband for each of the four Chaos Powers, so Khorne is next up.

7 comments:

  1. Really loving the colours on these. The purple skinned daemonettes seem much more sinister than the usual pale-skinned ones. Nice project, I'm impressed with how you blasted them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In honesty, I started to do the daemonettes with pale flesh, but the didn't look 'right' to me, so I went for a more alien colour.

      Delete
  2. grand warband I agree with Axiom the skin tone on the daemonettes works well and contrast very effectively with the spawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really interesting mix, you got a nice, striking warband!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic looking group and a lovely colour scheme tying them together - shame you don't see more of those Daemonettes about as they're lovely minis. Love the nipple ring on the ogre too - I must be pretty perverted too!

    ReplyDelete