Friday 26 June 2020

WFB3 Chaos Dwarf Ally Contingent - Finished!


Well, this is a bit of a diversion! I'd not planned to actually do this, but while working through my Chaos Warband project I realised I had (almost) enough Chaos Dwarves in the leadpile to make an official ally contingent for 3rd Edition WFB, and here it is: 


As usual, more photos after the cut...


So, the contingent worship Nurgle (so use multiples of 7 for unit size), and the army list is as follows: 
  • 1 Lvl 20 Chaos Dwarf Knight with Spider crossbreed mutation - 168pts 
  • 1 Lvl 15 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer - 203pts
  • 1 Lvl 10 Chaos Dwarf Knight - 88pts 
  • Chaos Dwarf Berzerkers with double handed weapons - 105pts
  • 21 Chaos Dwarves with Hand weapons, light armour and shields - 252pts
  • 1 Chaos Dwarf Bazuka - 70pts
  • 1 Chaos Dwarf Swivel Gun - 50pts
  • 1 Chaos Dwarf Mortar - 42pts
Points-wise, it comes to 972 points, not including magic items or equipment for the characters, for 31 models and 3 artillery pieces. That's not a huge number of models, but the main block of infantry should pack a decent hit, the berzerkers are always fun, and the assorted artillery can knock big holes in most units. 

Anyway, on to the models! 

First up is the leader, Dravagnak Arach-Nurzal, a Lvl 20 Chaos Knight. As well as the Mark of Nurgle, his initial mutation is 'crossbreed' with 'Giant Spider', giving him M5, a save of 4+ and causes Fear in all enemies under 10' within 6", however he must take a Panic test if attacked by fire weapons. 

Front View, showing his Daemonic Sword and lance

Rear View, showing details of his Mark of Nurgle and spider mutation

Second in command of the contingent is Rhabak Plagueseer, a Lvl 15 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer: 


He's actually a conversion of a human Chaos sorcerer model, I cut his legs off and resculpted his robes, using the feet from the dwarf I used for the spider conversion!

Next is Gharkad Filthheart, a Lvl 10 Hero, to be attached to either infantry unit as required: 


and now, the Berzerkers: 




One of the models (second from right) is actually a non-chaos model, King Gorrin from the old Dwarf Lords of Legend box set, but he looked suitably crazed and worked quite well when dirtied up and painted with rust. I had to use him as I was a few Chaos Dwarves short to fill out the unit numbers. 

You might notice that two of the models are fairly similar. Again with the limited numbers (and not wanting to buy any more models at the moment!), I had a few duplicate models, so I gave one a mace, and sculpted a horn, a long tongue and a single, large eye:



The main bulk of the contingent is a unit of 21 Chaos Dwarves with Light armour, hand weapons and shields: 



Because there's three ranks and they're tricky to see, here's each rank photoed separately: 

First rank, with the leader and standard bearer:


and angled to show the shields I sculpted: 

The standard bearer: 


This is a non-chaos dwarf I've made more chaos-y with the addition of a tentacle shield and a Nurgling hat. The sacrifice on the banner is an old chaos casualty model I've had knocking around for about as long as I can remember, but never had a use for him!

Also, this is another guy I converted from a non-chaos model. I'm really pleased with how this one came out: 


Next up, the second rank:


And the shields. The middle one is actually an old Citadel metal shield. (You can tell as it's actually sculpted well!)


And the third, rear rank. The third from the right is actually quite a rare model. It's the LE4 'Black Dwarf', a free model I was given when I went to an open day in the mid 1980s at the GW factory in Eastwood: 


and the final lot of shields: 


The last part of the army is the artillery. First up is a Mortar. I had a lot of fun with this, as well as the Nurgling in the mortar, the second crewman was another non-chaos model that I added spines and Nurgle-themed shoulder armour to: 







Next up is a swivel gun. It's not actually included in the Warhammer Armies book, but the rules were added in WD108 as an addendum: 


I've not done much to this model, other than model up the base a little: 





And finally a Bazuka team: Again, not converted, but just placed on a single, joint base: 



So, there you go, another small force completed, and they didn't cost me a penny (at least within the last decade or so!)

6 comments:

  1. Marvelous work. I do love a good pre-Big Hat chaos dwarf, and these certainly are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! Awesome conversions and shield work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing looking force! My very first army was a chaos army, including a large contingent of chaos dwarfs, many of the same sculpts represented here. I always remember the sad day they had 'Corrode' cast against them and they had to walk into battle weaponless and naked!

    There's almost too much detail to look at in one go. They look great en masse, but then there are the cool little tweaks and additions - the cyclopean beserker with his scarily long tongue; the mortar crewman with his spiked spine; the nurgling hat; the brilliant shields. Great army!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done sir! your converted models rock, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic stuff, really makes me want to crack on and actually finish my own little Chaos Dwarf warband.

    ReplyDelete