Sunday 27 April 2014

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something (that used to be) blue...

Or, in other words, a Horus Heresy Death Guard update!

Here's a group shot of what I've managed to get done so far:


There's a Rhino, Dreadnought, three RT Marine squads, one FW Destroyer Squad with Jump packs, Mortarion and Durak Rask conversions, an HQ squad in Terminator Armour, A Praetor, a chaplain and one lonely Scout.

If you're interested, further pics and details are after the cut...


I must admit, I'm really enjoying painting these, I like the dark, gritty look, and they have the added bonus of the massive amounts of weathering hiding my mediocre paintjobs.

Anyway, let's start with Mortarion:




I'm actually really pleased with how he's turned out. He's based on an old Terminator Chaplain model, with assorted Bitz™ and some green stuff breathing tubes. I was particularly pleased that I even managed to paint his name on the shoulder scroll without fucking it up. (Eventually...)

Next up is Durak Rask: 


He's probably the newest model here, being the only one in Finecast, but he was laying around in my collection, and I liked the way he looked. He's only a minor conversion, with some plastic accessories and a FW shoulder pad, but I really like the way he came out.  

Next up is a Praetor: 



He's the old Rogue Trader Inquisitor model, I think I've shown him on here before, but he wasn't entirely finished. 

And here's a RT Dreadnought: 


As fun as he was to paint, these really are crap models. HUGE mould lines, mould slippage and obscured details.

The HQ squad is next up: 





These are all old RT Terminators, the Standard bearer being one of the early prototype Terminators, that someone had unfortunately sliced the face off, and so had been sat in my leadpile for years, so he's finally got a use. The other two are Converted Grey Knights, with FW should pads and more modern plastic arms. 

Next is a Forge World Destroyer Squad:




These are again all lightly converted, with FW shoulder pads, and, as a nod to the rest of the army, original RTB01 weapons and accessories. The missile launcher is a heavily converted RT Chaos one, with a chainsword attachment on the end. 

And finally is a rhino and some RTB01 beakies. 




The plastic beakies I have to thank Steve Casey for, of the excellent Eldritch Epistles blog, who sent them to me recently. They're still fun to paint, 25 years on! The rhino is the part of the title that used to be blue, as it was my old Ultramarines transport. Fortunately, the heavy weathering hides the crappy sprayjob over the dodgy blue paint! 

And, last but not least, a lonely Scout:

This was a test paint scheme, to see how I was going to do them, I went for simple in the end. He's got another 9 mates that I need to get done to keep him company. 

Finally, have another group shot, showing the other two marine squads, that are on a previous post on the blog...

Enjoy! 


7 comments:

  1. Very cool, and the lone Scout could be a Vigilator Legion Consul :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking looking force there!

    Its great to see a combination of classic sculpts, newer stuff and some inspired conversions too which when combined with the unified paint job, really brings the force together.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb force, the fact you managed to tie that amount of different ranges together is a true achievement !
    Old references and new one, pre heresy and modern painting, we have the best of both worlds here !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Filthy, just the way I like my Warhammers. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely figures - great combination of new and old parts to give a really unique look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking army of oldies and one reason why I nominate you for a Liebster Award! Details on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this is a rather brilliant!
    Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete