Thursday 8 May 2014

The end of the world, or my other hobby love.



Well, one of 'em, is Post Apocalyptic wargaming, specifically 28mm skirmish wargaming. Most of you probably aren't aware, but a long time ago, I co-wrote a wargame called Babylon's Burning, and even produced a range of figures for it. Mediocre figures, it had to be said, but still. (The game's actually still available HERE, if you're that way inclined, but this post isn't meant to be selling anything!)

The game was based around the San Francisco area, after a devastating meteor destroyed pretty much everything, raising the sea level and killing off the vast majority of the world's population, after the dust in the atmosphere blocked off the sun for years, and caused global famine etc. Fun huh?

Anyway, being a Cold War era kid, I've always had a soft spot for Mad Max style gaming, so here's a few photos of some of the scenery and figures I've painted up for it.





This is a massive barricade I built, it's about a metre wide, and designed to be used for siege-style games. The doors in the centre open up, and there are platforms and ladders round the back.









 The game was based around various different factions that fought each other for resources, one of these were travellers, scavenging for buried goods in the various ruined areas across the USA. This was one of their convoy homes.




Although I didn't include vehicle combat rules in the rules, they played an important part in scenarios and as cover, so I ended up making loads. Here's a few:


'Road Marshall' Cop car.


Armoured recovery truck


Weird little resin thing I found at a show. If anyone knows who makes/made it, let me know.


Rather knackered aeroplane.


Another Armoured truck.


Slightly converted Unimog.


And a very converted Hummer.


Private Ambulance or some sort.


And a rather rusted one.


The Mystery Machine. If the mystery in question was 'where the hell's my next meal coming from after we've eaten this talking dog?'


A more classic Dark Future-eque armed Interceptor.


A fuel/water tanker.


A scratch-built armoured Scavenger behemoth.


And an angry guy with a bike.

I'm sure I've got more photos knocking about, as I've got hundreds of figures for this sort of thing, but most of 'em are all packaged up.

Anyway, enjoy. Or not.

5 comments:

  1. Very impressive collection of stuff you have there...That looks like a lot of fun to game with.

    I certainly see the appeal of Post Apoc gaming...small skirmish bands and fun weird rules would be a blast.

    Cheers,

    Blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love post apoc. Big fan of those Copplestone sculpts, and your excellent vehicle collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing collection! Stunning vehicles! Great painting on the Copplestone Future Warriors! Would love to see more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a really inspiring post-apoc collection.

    I love a bit of post-apoc, although over the last few years I have been folding it into a subset of my 40k universe (not 40k rules) games, mostly in an effort to keep the to-do list a little smaller.

    Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a really inspiring post-apoc collection.

    I love a bit of post-apoc, although over the last few years I have been folding it into a subset of my 40k universe (not 40k rules) games, mostly in an effort to keep the to-do list a little smaller.

    Great stuff

    ReplyDelete