Tuesday 12 April 2016

The Heroic Defenders of La Maisontaal!


So, sorry for being quiet recently, but apart from being ill, I've been working on this little lot, which are part of the 1986 WFB 'Vengeance of the Lichemaster' scenario.

Loads more photos and info after the cut...



So, if you're still reading, here's a little background information: In the Spring '86 issue of the Citadel Journal, there was a follow-on scenario for the 'Terror of the Lichemaster' box set, created as an introduction to the Skaven, that were released to coincide with the issue. As part of it, the cover could be cut up to create a centrepiece monastery of Taal, 'La Maisontaal'. I actually cut up my cover, all the way back in 1986, but didn't get any further than sticking it on a base, and never actually played the scenario.

It was three sided, with the newly-released Skaven, the Undead from the TotL scenario, and a bunch of hapless monks of Taal. A brief outline of the story went like this:

Heinrich Kemler the Necromancer had formerly studied at La Maisontaal, and knew there were artifacts of great power stored there, and that Bagrian the Head Monk had refused to help him in the past. However, he didn't know that Bagrian had been experimenting with creating artificial life-forms (Somewhat odd for a monk of Taal the Nature God, but hey, what do I know!) To power these artificial life forms, Bagrian had broken into Skavenblight(!) and stolen the 'Black Arc (sic) of the Skaven, an artifact of immense power, currently locked into a casket. Understandably the Skaven want it back, and are in the process of attacking the Monastery when Kemler arrives with his undead army, and then it all kicks off!

Anyway, back to the project! As mentioned, I've had this terrain piece knocking around for the last thirty years, so thought I'd actually a: rebuild it, and b: finish the damn thing!

See, that's a genuine 1986 Citadel Journal!


So, to start with, I backed the card with cork tiling to give it a bit more bulk, textured the walls, and added doors, windows and tiles etc. Once painted up, I ended up with this:













I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, tbh, and I like the way the graffiti from the original turned out.

However, that's only the half of it!

I also decided to paint up the inhabitants of the monastery as per the scenario, and using period miniatures. This called for Bagrian, the Master of La Maisontaal, as well as 1 Level Three, 1 Level Two and 3 Level One Wizard Monks, and 12 Warrior Monks of Taal.

Bagrian:

Bagrian is described as wearing the Red Robes of Taal, and having implanted metal pieces into his own body, including a right hand and half of his face. I used an old Citadel Wizard for him, with his red robes showing the white hem of a Master of Taal:




Level One Wizard Monks:

These were another couple of Citadel Wizards, and a lightly converted Flagellant, in plain red robes as befits their low status:


Level Two Wizard Monk:

Again, another Citadel Wizard model, this time with a grey hem (and slightly more deranged look!) to show his higher level:



Level Three Wizard Monk:

Not sure where this figure comes from, it's either preslotta or not Citadel at all. I like it though, as he looks wild enough to be a high level Wizard:


Warrior Monks of Taal:

There should be 12 of these, but I've done 20 as I've had this unit of Disciples of the Red Redemption knocking around for years, and wanted an excuse to get them off the leadpile! 


And last, but not least is Bagrian's Mechanical Life Form...


So, why a Dalek, I hear you cry? If you look *very* closely at the counter sheet provided for the scenario, the 'Mechanical Warrior' token looks suspiciously like a Dalek. I'm guessing this is no coincidence, as there were shedloads of unwanted Dalek/Cybermen sprues knocking around from the box set that no bugger bought and this might be an excuse to shift a few sprues via mail order.

So, that's the Monks of Taal sorted. I'd like to do the other two forces next; I've got enough undead to do Kemler's army, though I'll have to do some crafty conversions for the characters, as Im not paying the prices that Kemler and Mikeal Jacsen go for!

I will, however have to pick up some Skaven, as although I've always liked them as a race and an army, I've never bothered collecting more than a few over the years. So, if anyone has 40 or so '86 era metal clanrats going spare, give me a shout! ;)

8 comments:

  1. This is excellent, We've played this in October and it was excellent fun. Really great model selection with the usual great painting. When I saw the Dalek I immediately thought "oh brilliant idea !"
    Check out Nico's posts for prepartion, his Krell and Michael Jaksen were really well thought.
    Looking forward ti seeing more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't claim any credit for the dalek, it was in the original scenario!

      Delete
  2. This is great. Interesting to see the original abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monastery looks great: love the 'No Hawkers' sign! The monks are really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Citadel Journal was something that I never came across when I was a teen. Wasn't until a few years ago that I discovered it on the net.

    Did I miss out on much?

    I like your ruined building, especially with the skaven graffiti :)


    Cool.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were great, for example this one introduced an entire new race. others had similarly interesting articles and scenarios.

      Delete
  5. Evo - your work on this is so breathtakingly beautiful! I just love, love your painting style. It is so deeply, thoroughly saturated in old school artistry.

    And that shot of the old scenery made out of a Citadel Journal is priceless. How many things did I do like when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, thank you very much, I just love your interpretation of the same guys, nice to see we chose the same model for one of the wizards too! My style is very much 'old school' for better or for worse! I was a GD finalist in '88, and to be honest, although everyone else's painting techniques have moved on and are far, far superior, mine really hasn't changed at all.

      Delete