Thursday 10 August 2017

The Rogue Trader Bestiary Part 2: Astral Hound

So, like most of my other new projects, I've gone headlong into this one for a while at the expense of all the others.

For the next entry, I decided to start at the beginning with the warp creatures, and the Astral Hound...



More after the cut...




Here's what the RT rulebook had to say about them:


So, basically it's a large, dark Space Dog. Luckily, Citadel made some nice ones in their mid-80's AD& range as ADD80 'Blink Dogs' (of which the Astral Hound is surprisingly similar!), and I've had one knocking around for a long time, so here he is: 



Rather than just painting it as a standard dog, I wanted to represent it as emerging from the Warp. To do this, I made it darker towards it's rear end, with stars on to represent space. 



It's worked ok I think, not spectactular, but it does the job. I've already modelled the next few entries in the list, just need to get some paint on them and write them up! 

Links to the Bestiary So Far: 

  • Astral Hound
  • Astral Spectre
  • Enslaver
  • Psychneuein
  • Vampires
  • Warp Entity
  • Zombie
  • Ambull
  • Bouncers
  • Carnivorous Sand Clam
  • Catachan Devil
  • Catachan Face Eater
  • Crawlers
  • Crotalid
  • Cthellean Cudbear
  • Dinosaur
  • Ferro-Beast
  • Genestealer
  • Giant Insectoid
  • Giant Spider
  • Grox
  • Gyrinx
  • Horse
  • Lashworm
  • Mimic
  • Ptera-Squirrel
  • Razorwing
  • Rippy-Fish
  • Swarm
  • Sunworm

5 comments:

  1. I love the way you put the astral in Astral Hound... very creative and well executed! And it's great to see those old Blink Dogs getting some use! (One of those old AD&D Blink Dogs also gets a cameo appearance - as just a regular hound - as Fritzy the Dog in the Terror of the Lichemaster scenario pack.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a long time I've wondered how best to envisage the emergence of the astral hound from the warp. Yours is a very neat and elegant solution Evo. Can't wait to see the next beastie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool job! I made a few Astral Hounds too back in the day, but I must say I pretty much like your approach! Well done, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a clever way of depicting the hound!

    ReplyDelete