Friday 14 October 2016

'The Pride of Jamakeer' - A 'Maelstrom' Class Light Cargo Carrier - Finished!

Well, here you go, I finally finished the 'Maelstrom' Class cruiser and my word, it's a biggie...


In fact it's not just a biggie, it's positively huge, coming in at just over 20 inches long! It's by far the largest 40k model I've ever made. There's a load more photos after the cut, if you're so inclined...




So, after my original post about this way back in June, (*here* if you're interested) I asked for some advice on paint schemes. Lasgunpacker came up with the fantastic idea of going for an old ocean liner scheme, so that's what I've gone for. Most seemed to be variant stripes of red, white and black, and it's worked really well. I also designed the insignia and logos for it, using inkjet transfer paper, which I'll cover more in another post.

The ship itself is made up of a selection of Forgeworld and GW models, but primarily parts of a Thunderhawk, a Caestus Assault Ram and a Storm Raven, along with whatever was in the bits box that looked about right. All i need to do now is add a little more rust and weathering I think, and then varnish it to protect it.

As to the background for this behemoth, it's part of the 'Red Star Line', which is a small outfit operating a few interplanetary trading routes considered less profitable by the larger consortia, whether down to diminished populations or danger from piracy.

Here, it's flagship, the Pride of Jamakeer, can be seen being unloaded on it's home planet. Jamakeer itself is one of the riskier routes, being a pirate homeworld, but it is believed that the RSL pays protection to one of the larger organised groups in order that it's ships can go about their business unmolested...

 Squat traders examine an arms and ammunition shipment being unloaded. 

  Squat traders examine an arms and ammunition shipment being unloaded. 

 The ship's crew perform their routine checks for damage, as the pilot stands guard next to the cockpit entrance. 

 "How do I get up there to fix that? "

"No idea mate, you're on your own with that one."

A small tractor unloading precious cargo. 

The tractor is made up of parts from Ramshackle Games, as are a lot of the pieces of scenery I've made in the past.

Drone view, showing the bustle around the rear of the craft as it's hurriedly unloaded to avoid tempting raiders.  


 Front view, showing nameplate


 Another view


The Chief Engineer always hates landing. He prefers zero-G, no people, and his bottle of Single Malt Synthathol

And, as well as the staged shots I usually do, I thought I'd do some less cluttered views, to give you an idea of the size and shape of the thing...













Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Stupendous.

    Every shot has new and interesting details to examine.

    And the decals really add to the "realism" of the piece by making the font regular even in the way that a professionally painted ship should look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that thing is impressive! What a fantastic addition to the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That came out quite well indeed! The Red Star Line is a very good classic name. It bespeaks history. Even piracy, if you ask some of J. P. Morgan's competitors. You can't really beat it. They even employed the legendary Violet Jessop for a time. (Perhaps she decided that shinier stars were more ill fated, what with the number of them that sank out from under her.) Well done! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pics are really evocative of a busy starport on a fringe world. I could look at dioramas like this for ages. The added bonus is that yours is made with gaming pieces too.

    Oh, and the transport is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! The paint scheme really does it justice. Kind of retro rogue trader instead of skulls and grimness. How did you do the lettering and insignia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all designed on the PC and printed using decal printing paper, I'm going to do a blog post about them in the future!

      Delete
    2. That would be great! Cheers

      Delete
  6. Words like fantastic or awesome fail to fully capture how great this is. Like My pal Jon said above those pics are so evocative, it really is what all of this is about the way I see it.
    Slow claps and a little tear in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forget wargaming table, that there is movie quality special effects modelling. Granted I've been living on a diet of Blakes 7, but in all seriousness, that is extremely awe inspiring. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so freakin' awesome!! Sir, you went beyond any expectation here. A huge bravo, the colours are a total win, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy shit dude, that is a whole new level of amazeballs... I am literally in awe of this project - the sheer scale is jaw dropping, but the level of detail and standard of painting elevate this to the tippiest tippy top of awesome... My hat is off, and my jaw is on the floor. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Diesel! You really nailed the weathering on the transport....it's spot on!

    I've got a transport in the pipeline too, but your creation has made me wanna lift my game....a lot! :)

    Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wasn't this all made up of miscast parts? You'd never tell looking at it now, it's one of the best Scratchbuild/kitbashes I've seen in a long while, your paintwork has done it justice, and please do tell us about this 'transfer paper' for printers, I need something so I can do some Mentor Legion logo's.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was searching everywhere to find who built this after seeing it in a Google search. This is absolutely perfect. Properly inspired!

    ReplyDelete